Right way – Be Specific:
- Find out the name of the title company and make the check payable to that particular title company
- Put the property address in the memo line
- Write a new check for every offer
Wrong Way – :
- Leave a big, blank space and write only Title Company in the “to” line
- Write a generic initial deposit number that has nothing to do with your offer (not 3% of the offer amount)
- Leave the date blank so that your agent or someone else can fill in the date later (with different hand writing & ink)
Why does it matter? The first way, the seller and listing agent know that you are interested enough to find out where escrow is opened and to write a check for this particular property. The second way is as if you are throwing spaghetti at a wall to see if it will stick. (Yes, throwing cooked spaghetti at a wall IS a good way to know if it’s cooked, but it doesn’t work well for much else in life.)
Perhaps if your offer is the only one, the effort you put in with this small detail will seem moot. But if you are up against multiple offers, shortcuts on your part, or your agent’s, will count against you. Put it this way: if you don’t look serious when you’re trying to make a good impression (think of a courtship), how will you be in escrow (think marriage)? If it’s bumpy now, it doesn’t bode well for the future – and you might be eliminated from the running since you’ve failed to make a better first impression. So slow down and do it right!
$138,888 : 7228 Martwood WAY, SAN JOSE3 beds, 3 baths
$739,800 : 246 Elk Creek PL, SAN JOSE3 beds, 2 baths
$779,000 : 1575 Almond WAY, MORGAN HILL3 beds, 2 baths
$998,000 : 738 Parvin DR, MILPITAS3 beds, 2 baths
$910,000 : 1490 Finch LN, GILROY4 beds, 3 baths
$1,499,950 : 4523 Madoc WAY, SAN JOSE4 beds, 2 baths
$679,999 : 1290 Chesbro WAY, GILROY3 beds, 2 baths
$1,588,000 : 1451 Van Dusen LN, CAMPBELL5 beds, 4 baths
$695,000 : 169 Millar AVE, SAN JOSE3 beds, 2 baths
$1,195,000 : 17850 Kiowa TRL, LOS GATOS2 beds, 1 bath
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 5/24/2018)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.