As you can imagine, there are loads of ways for stress to creep into a home purchase: work mates with poor “over the cubicle wall” advice, relatives in other states giving guidance that does not apply here, inspection surprises, lender delays, and so much more!
To minimize stress, it’s important to eliminate the easily avoidable trouble spots:
- Start saving the down payment early
- Collect your paperwork / financial documents
- Review your credit report and clean up any errors or problems a year or two before you plan to buy
- Don’t go it alone – hire a good buyer’s agent who will advise you, provide you good data, and negotiate with your best interests in mind
- Communication is key, both between you and your Realtor but also you and your lender, the title company (once in escrow), any inspectors, etc. Be sure to provide an email address and a cell phone number which you actually use. (Some of my clients have 2 cell phones, and it can be a challenge if the number provided isn’t on a phone the client has at hand.)
- Patience and determination will be required to buy in this seller’s market with multiple offers, but get good advice and keep with it!