Insurance choices home buyers face

Insurance choices home buyers face

Home buyers & sellers in Silicon Valley hear about various types of real estate related insurance products and they can sometimes be confused with one another: Homeowner’s (or Fire) Insurance, Title Insurance and Home Warranties. We’ll discuss them today and hopefully will clear up the confusion.

Homeowner’s Insurance pays you money to cover losses in the event of a fire or other unseen catastrophe (such as a tree falling on your home, a fire caused by lightening or a fence falling down in a windstorm).  Often there’s a deductible but beyond that you have major coverage for losses in most cases. There are some caveats, of course.  If you purchase a home using financing, your lender will require you to buy this type of insurance.  It is sometimes also called Fire Insurance.

Homeowner’s insurance does not cover damage from earthquakes or flooding from creeks, rivers or dam failure.  If you have a fixture that fails and the home floods, though, that is probably covered.

Homeowner’s insurance does not guarantee that if something is destroyed it can be rebuilt.  For instance, in older parts of Santa Clara County (such as downtown Saratoga, San Jose, Los Gatos and Willow Glen) there are detached garages built right up against the property line or very close to it.  In most places there are now setback requirements of about 5 feet or so.  Should that garage burn down (or be destroyed by termites or anything else), it can only be rebuilt, most often, if it’s moved.  Creating a new foundation is expensive – and that may not be covered by your HO insurance.

Title Insurance comes in two basic versions: owner’s policy of title and lender’s policy of title.  This type of insurance is against issues with who owns the home – any title issues or “clouds on title”.  The owner’s policy is a one-time expense that’s paid for, usually by the seller, when you purchase a home.  The lender’s policy is normally paid for by the buyer is there’s a loan on the property. If you refinance your property, you’ll be required to get a lender’s policy each time you refi the real estate.  (I wrote about it a couple of months ago here on the Valley of Hearts Delight blog: What Is Title Insurance and Who Pays For It?)

Home Warranties cover malfunctions or failures in the components of the home, for example, if the oven stops working, the water heater springs a leak, etc.  Not everything in the house or condominium is insured by the basic policy but there are “riders” that can expand coverage to include items such as the air conditioner, the roof, a pool, etc.  Home warranties generally cost anywhere from $240 to $600 depending on what’s included.  If the new home owner needs to have a service call, the cost will be anywhere from about $40 to $60 for the visit and usually that covers repairing or replacing what’s not working.

If you are buying an older, historic home it is important to remember that “code upgrades” will not be covered by most standard policies.  For example, once I had a listing in Cambrian Park where the house was about 60 years old.  The water heater was tucked into a teeny, tiny closet.  When the water heater failed, the closet had to pretty much be dismantled so that the water heater could be exchanged for a new one.  The code, though, required some changes in the way it was to be installed – it could not go back in the way it was (and be permitted).  With a regular home warranty the changes required due to the code would not be covered, but there are riders that do cover it. Home warranties are sometimes also called Home Owner Protection Plan (HOPP).

Want to know more about home warranties?  I wrote in detail about HOPPs a couple of years ago in this blog: Buying a Home Warranty in Silicon Valley? What You Need to Know to Choose Well.

  1. 5 beds, 4 baths
    Home size: 6,400 sq ft
    Lot size: 1.16 ac
  2. 5 beds, 5 baths
    Home size: 4,840 sq ft
    Lot size: 1.13 ac
  3. 4 beds, 4 baths
    Home size: 4,846 sq ft
    Lot size: 1.01 ac
  4. 5 beds, 5 baths
    Home size: 5,390 sq ft
    Lot size: 1.13 ac
  5. 4 beds, 4 baths
    Home size: 3,185 sq ft
    Lot size: 43,560 sqft
  6. 5 beds, 6 baths
    Home size: 4,307 sq ft
    Lot size: 1.01 ac
  7. 6 beds, 7 baths
    Home size: 6,922 sq ft
    Lot size: 1.31 ac
  8. 4 beds, 4 baths
    Home size: 4,928 sq ft
    Lot size: 4.24 ac
  9. 5 beds, 4 baths
    Home size: 3,913 sq ft
    Lot size: 3.43 ac
  10. 4 beds, 3 baths
    Home size: 2,412 sq ft
    Lot size: 1.26 ac

See all Real estate in the Los Altos Hills community.
(all data current as of 10/22/2018)

Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.


by Transposh - translation plugin for wordpress
Mary Pope-Handy
Sereno Group Real Estate
214 Los Gatos-Saratoga Rd
Los Gatos, CA 95030
408 204-7673
Mary (at)
License# 01153805

Selling homes in
Silicon Valley:
Santa Clara County,
San Mateo County, and
Santa Cruz County.
Special focus on:
San Jose, Los Gatos,
Saratoga, Campbell,
Almaden Valley,
Cambrian Park.
Let’s Connect
Find Mary on FacebookFollow Mary on Twitter
RSS FeedFollow Mary on YouTube

Please see more icons
at the bottom of the page.

The real estate search
Use the widget below to browse properties which are for sale, under contract (pending) or sold. Want to view only homes which are available now? Use the "find a home" link on the menu above (next to the "home" button).
Mary’s other sites & blogs
Valley Of Hearts Delight
Santa Clara County Real Estate,
with an interest in history
Silicon Valley relocation info
Silicon Valley real estate,
focus on home selling

Silicon Valley Real Estate Report
Silicon Valley real estate
market trends & statistics
Mary’s Blog Awards
Top 25 real estate blogs of 2018 by RentPrep2018's list of top 25 real estate blogs to follow

Top 25 real estate blogs 2016
2016: Personal Income's list of top 25 real estate blogs.

Best Realtor blog award
2016: Coastal Group OC's list of best Realtor blogs

The 2009 Sellsius list of top 12 women real estate bloggers
2009: Sellsius list of top
12 women real estate bloggers

Mary Pope-Handy's Live in Los Gatos blog won the 2007 Project Blogger contest, sponsored by Inman News and Active Rain

2007: Mary Pope-Handy and Frances Flynn Thorsen win the Project Blogger Contest for Mary's Live in Los Gatos blog. The contest was sponsored by
Active Rain and Inman News.

Non blog award

Best real estate agent in Silicon Valley from the San Jose Mercury News poll of readers in 2011
"Best real estate agent
in Silicon Valley"

2011 readers' poll,
San Jose Mercury News